Monday, August 4, 2008

Summer, Pioneer day, and Baseball

Nothing beats summer and baseball. Ab-so-lutely nothing. That being said, what could be better than a little holiday spent at the ballpark?

I've never been big on celebrating Pioneer day. Don't misunderstand- I'm very grateful for the pioneers and the sacrifices they made in crossing the plains and settiling the beautiful desert of Utah. But I have no pioneer ancestry, and I grew up in California (where almost everyone has never heard of pioneer day). So, when I poured my bowl of honey nut cheerios and sat down to watch The Price is Right, I was expecting to celebrate Pioneer day by lounging around the house. My wife had other plans, though. Namely, the Oklahoma RedHawks vs. the Salt Lake Bees. Needless to say, I gave the proposal my sustaining vote and looked forward to taking our little girl to her first game at the ballpark.


When she wasn't sleeping, Lucy was entirely focused on the game. I had already taught her the basic rules of baseball, so she was able to relax and take it all in. We got to see a little of everything: a few big home runs, some good defense, and a good 1-2-3 ninth inning to assure a Bee's victory. Lucy even tolerated the fireworks afterwards quite well. Our first (of many) family trips to the ballpark was a wild success.

In fact, this has been a great season to hook Lucy on baseball. The Angels are the major's best team and have been giving us plenty of wins to enjoy.

Lucy and I watching an Angels homerun vs. the Red Sox.

If you come to our house in the evening, chances are you'll find Lucy and I in front of the computer watching MLB.TV. We'll be getting Lucy an Angels onesie before October comes around. A two-month old already into baseball makes for one very proud daddy.

1 comment:

ty said...

go for a yankees onsie instead!