On Wednesday, June 22nd, I had a routine OB appointment. When my OB measured me, I was measuring full term. I should have been 36 cm but was 40. She did a simple ultrasound - the baby's cute chubby cheeks - and didn't see anything strange but ordered a more extensive ultrasound for the following week to see how big the baby was getting.
Well, two mornings later, at about 5 am my water broke! No ultrasound needed! I woke up Spencer who started packing things. We were not at all ready as it was still 3 1/2 weeks until my due date. In fact, I had plans for that day to get the nursery set up!
Contractions started about a half hour later and gradually got closer together. Spencer's sister, Valerie, came over and we left for the hospital about 7:30 or so - when contractions were about 4-6 minutes apart.
We got to the hospital and I was dialiated to a 6 - good news! It took awhile for the staff to get everything going and I didn't get my epidural until about 10:30. Labor was hard - especially in my back, just like all my other babies. Spencer and my mom took turns pushing on my back and rubbing my feet.
Then I got my epidural. Oh, sweet epidural! I don't know why I ever wanted to do this without you! It made me itchy and gave me a headache later in the day but it was so worth it! Labor slowed way down after that but I was so tired, I didn't care. I was glad for the break to just rest. Awhile in the doctor suggested a "sip" of pitocin. I hate pitocin. But I was really tired and ready for this baby to come so I was ok with it. It only took a tiny bit and I was ready to push.
The baby's stats starting changing and nurses and doctors came from everywhere! After five minutes of pushing, our new baby boy arrived at 3:12 pm! Spencer cut the cord and I got to hold him right away.
The nurses noticed he was breathing strangely though - retracting - and took him over to the baby area in the room. A NICU nurse came in and said he had some fluid in his lungs and worked on him for a few minutes while my OB worked on me. She pronounced him ok and they weighed and measured him while they had him - 8 lbs 8 oz and 20 1/4 in long.
We then got to spend some time with the little man and I nursed him. It was love at first sight!
We had told the kids that if the baby was born before dinner time, they would be able to come see him.
We didn't tell them he was a boy until they were in our room looking at him. They were so excited! Especially Sammy!
Eliza didn't want to hold him and I think this picture accurately describes how she felt about this new addition to the family!
Mom was there for the birth and Susie helped out with the kids and brought them over to visit. Aunt Kay, Aunt Jeanie, and Grandma also came to visit.
I adore this picture of me and my babies!
Our first picture as a complete family! We named him Joseph Tyler Van Hoose the next morning.
Our beautiful view from the hospital room. We didn't know it at the time, but this became our view for the next 5 days!
No comments:
Post a Comment